Our life is frittered away by detail... Simplify, simplify, simplify! ... Simplicity of life and elevation of purpose. - Henry David Thoreau
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practise resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan-like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms, and, if it proved to be mean, why then to get the whole and genuine meanness of it, and publish its meanness to the world; or if it were sublime, to know it by experience, and be able to give a true account of it in my next excursion." - From "Waldon" by Henry David Thoreau
I think Thoreau was definitely on the right track, he emphasized the importance of solitude, contemplation, and closeness to nature in transcending the "desperate" existence that, he argues, is the lot of most people. We all need to take time and slow down in our lives to listen, see, touch, taste, experience, feel, & live what is around us. Not just nature, but connect with the people in our lives, but not so much all of the objects and gadgets that take up too much time already.
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness. - Henry David ThoreauSOLITUDE:
A little solitude is important in everyone's life. I don't mean going out to live in the woods for 2 yrs like Thoreau did, but more like taking time out each day for some quick mediation or "alone time" for yourself to just simplify your thoughts, ease your mind, speak to God, or clear your mind, & let go of the daily stress that has been bothering you lately.
This is important, simplify your daily life in little ways and it will make your life that much easier. It will alleviate the stress that builds up in your daily life.
- Speak Less, Think More. Simplify and it will alleviate stress, don't be quick to judge, quick to act, quick to argue. Simplify your actions and thoughts.
- We all (including myself) get caught up in the day to day gadgets, technology, etc. But this technology isn't a bad thing, if you don't let consume your day and your thoughts.
- We all need our solitude (take time for yourself everyday! It can be a little as 5 mins, or as long as you need!)
- Open your mind, ease your thoughts, don't let bundle up together, (one at a time)
- Smile. (It's amazing what a smile will do for your mood)
- Pick up a good book and/or put on your favorite music and let yourself out every once in a while.
- Go outside & experience nature & the earth
- Workout, go on a run, exercise, burn off some stress
- Keep a journal, write down your thoughts, or what is bothering you, then look back and handle it
- Drop the negative people, To be more positive, you need to fill your life with positivity all around you
- Get some Sleep
- Just Relax
- Find a place that you can just be at peace of mind, and stare at something beautiful! (There's beauty all around us)
Very often, people confuse simple with simplistic. The nuance is lost on most. - Clement Mok
Most of the luxuries, and many of the so-called comforts of life, are not only not indispensable, but positive hindrances to the elevation of mankind. With respect to luxuries and comforts, the wisest have even lived a more simple and meager life than the poor -Henry David Thoreau
It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.